Pet Friendly Hotels West Kelowna:
Enjoy Okanagan Nature with Your Pooch
They are often the reason we wake up in the morning for our daily walk and are always there when we need a snuggle or someone to talk gibberish to. We are referring to our favourite pet canines, of course.
If you’re planning a trip to the Okanagan and want to bring your four-legged friend along for the adventure, why not base yourself at one of the best pet friendly hotels in West Kelowna and seek out a dog park, trail or beach.
Before you go, make sure to check for local weather —flood warnings in the springtime and fire warnings in the summer— bring plenty of water for you and your pooch, as well as waste disposal bags.
Hide and seek
The Okanagan is known for its diverse ecosystem, where rolling hills are covered in open grasslands and dense forests are filled with Douglas firs and Ponderosa pines.
Many of these areas are protected parkland, perfect for wildlife viewing and bird watching.
There are a number of trails close to dog friendly hotels in the Okanagan, and particularly West Kelowna, where you can take your pet along.
Most of them require that you have your dog on a leash.
Here are four:
- Eain Lamont Park takes hikers and their dogs on gravel trails in the Lakeview Heights neighbourhood near Mount Boucherie. The trail is well marked and the hike to the top of the lookout is a fairly moderate climb. Please note that there are steep cliffs in the area, so stick to the marked paths.
- On the south shore of Shannon Lake is Shannon Lake Regional Park, where you and your dog (on-leash) can hike along trails and pathways to see the birdlife and turtles.
- Near Shannon Lake is Shannon Woods Park, which features an off-leash dog park that is close to a community garden as well as athletic fields. You can go for a nice leisurely walk here while admiring the flowers.
- Known for its diverse ecosystems contained within its 74 hectares, Glen Canyon Regional Park is an important wildlife corridor that is largely undisturbed. It is also known for its rock formations such as hoodoos and columns. You and your on-leash dog can walk along trails to see views of Powers Creek flowing through deep canyons, forests and grassland slopes.
For those hot summer days…
The Okanagan has a number of dog beaches, where dogs can run, prance and splash to their heart’s content. Some of the ones located close to your hotel in West Kelowna include:
- Gellatly Dog Beach: Located in the north end of Gellatly Bay, this park provides a safe, fenced-off area for dogs.
- Kalamoir Regional Park: Located on 27.6 hectares of parkland on the shore of Okanagan Lake, Kalamoir has on-leash trails and pathways. However, dogs can go unleashed at the designated dog beaches.
- Lake Avenue Dog Beach: Located on the east side of the William R. Bennett Bridge, this new downtown Kelowna off-leash dog beach has been set up as a test run until September 2019. Limited parking is available. However, there is more parking available nearby at Kelowna’s City Beach.
Looking for the perfect getaway with your kids? Read our blog: Keep the Kids Entertained: Tips from your West Kelowna Hotel.The Best Western Wine Country Hotel and Suites is one of the top pet friendly hotels in West Kelowna. We not only offer a variety of room types on our first and second floor for travellers with their feline and canine companions, each pet owner that registers received a special guest bag complete with treats, waste bags, and a guide to local dog parks.